Monday, August 27, 2012

Cake Pops

Little man's 1st Birthday is coming up and I realized last week I need to start putting things together. I have the theme picked out, decoration ideas and what food I want to have. This is the first of many posts about the birthday party. 
I was at a baby shower a few months back and the favors were owl cake pops. They were adorable! I decided then that baby has to have cake pops at his party. Over the weekend I ran to the store and collected what I needed so I could practice before the party. Here is what I got:

-Cake mix. I choose yellow but you can choose any kind you would like.
-Frosting
-Lollipop sticks
-Candy Melts

There is not much needed for the cake pops, which I love. I found a you tube video from Bakerella to use as my guide. 

Here is a quick run through of what I did:

I baked the cake like you normally would. Once it was done and cooled I crumble it. Next I added the frosting (I used about 2/3 of the jar) and mixed together. I then made little balls using cookie scooper to make them all the same size. I then put mine in the freezer for about 15 minutes and moved over to the refrigerator until I was ready to dip in the candy melts. I followed the instructions on the bag for melting the candy melts. Then I took the cake out of the refrigerator and grabbed the lollipop sticks. I then dipped the stick into the candy and then stuck it about 1/2 through the cake pop. You then dip the pop into the candy melts and cover (Watch Bakerlla's video as she has a great technique)! 

Here are my cake pops. Please ignore the poor decorating. I used gel frosting instead of red candy melts and I was decorating at 9:30pm (which is late in this household). The real deal will be much prettier!




2 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I volunteer to come sample them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I don't need to eat all of them myself :)

      Delete